Dentures are prosthetic teeth fabricated from a combination of dental-grade ceramic and gum-colored acrylic to replace missing teeth. The acrylic acts as the denture base, while the ceramic is used to make the replacement prosthetic teeth. Various assortments of dentures are available to address the exact issues of the patients depending on the condition - from partial dentures to implant-supported overdentures.
What are the benefits of Dentures?
Opting for dentures offer various advantages, including the following:
- Dentures help restore the mouth's original functions, including eating and speaking to their complete form.
- By replacing missing teeth, dentures help maintain a full facial shape.
- Unlike other restoration services that are fixed, dentures can be removed when needed. Dentures can be worn and taken off while cleaning your mouth or the dentures.
- Dentures are one of the best options to replace multiple missing teeth.
- Dentures can be customized to match the aesthetics of your smile.
- Dentures allow you to bite and chew food normally.
- We can replace either all the teeth in your mouth or just a few selected missing ones according to the requirement using dentures.
- Dentures are highly durable; hence, you can carry out your routine oral functions without worrying about damage.
What are the types of dentures?
- Complete Dentures: Complete dentures or full dentures are a good alternative if the patient has all the teeth extracted or missing. Complete dentures are custom-made to fit a complete set of either top or bottom missing teeth.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures replace several missing teeth. They are not permanently fixed but are temporarily fitted to the gum line and attached to the adjacent teeth.
- Immediate Dentures: They are removable dentures and are attached on the same day of tooth removal. They can be used to provide aesthetic purposes for patients who have had one tooth or multiple teeth extracted on visible areas.
- Overdentures: Overdentures are fitted over a patient's original teeth or over dental implants if they have no natural teeth. Its purpose is to protect the remaining teeth around those that have been removed.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Implant-supported dentures are secured by dental implants. The denture may clip on and off the implants, which provide retention and support.
How are the Dentures fitted?
When you visit your dentist to replace your missing teeth with dentures, we will initially examine your mouth and oral conditions. A perfect impression of the alveolar ridges on the top and bottom of your mouth is made and is used to make the base of the denture in a dental laboratory. The prosthetic teeth are made in the laboratory to re-create a natural-looking smile. Once the results are satisfactory, the temporary dentures are made in permanent ones. After this, the dentures' form and function are carefully evaluated to ensure their proper fit.
Call Elan Dental Center at (919)-556-6761 or schedule an online appointment to know more about Dentures.